Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Olé!





The last few years I have learned how to can. This year I tried Salsa (since we had a bunch of tomatoes and peppers in our garden). I thought that it turned out pretty good. I thought that my version could have been a little hotter, but here is the recipe that I used and you can alter it to your liking. This recipe is from the Ball Blue Book. Hope you like it as much as we did....Olé!

Zesty Salsa
Yeild: about 6 pints

Ingredients:
10 cups chopped, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 6 pounds)
5 cups chopped and seeded long green peppers (about 2 pounds)5 cups chopped onions (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 1/2 cups chopped and seeded hot peppers (about 1 pound)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot, adding hot pepper sauce, if desired. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4 in headspace. Adjust two piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the note about the rubber gloves! The first time I did salsa I didnt wear them and my hands were on fire for a long time!!!

    ReplyDelete